Rollover accidents often occur when there is a sudden change in the center of gravity and/or a driver is unable to slow down during a sharp turn,
Data taken from the Institute for Traffic Safety Management and Research (ITSMR) revealed that the number of accident deaths in New York State fell from 938 in 2019 to 1,032 in 2020. caused by large trucks decreased by 1 person from 85 total to 84 in 2020 and most large truck crashes, including fatal injuries, occurred between 12 p.m. and 3 p.m., when many travelers are driving on the roads of New York. Truck accident victims may wonder “Where can I find a lawyer near mewhen they need help after an accidental injury and loss of property has had a negative impact on their life.
New York State Road Restrictions for Trucks
In order to make the roads safer, New York State has specific driving laws for truckers, including restrictions on which highways they are allowed to drive on. Section 385 of the Vehicles and Traffic Act. Additionally, federal and state regulations are in place for heavy-duty truck and commercial drivers that require vehicles to be inspected and maintained regularly, in addition to periodic screening of drivers to be assessed to ensure they are in good health. healthy.
Common semi-trailer accidents
Semi-trailer trucks are involved in normal types of collisions, including rear-end crashes, T-bones, head-butts, and side-impacts. The enormous size and loading load also results in the involvement of large rigs in accidents unique to the industry, including:
- Underride when a smaller vehicle gets stuck under the semi-trailer after approaching from behind and unable to stop,
- Rollover accidents often occur when there is a sudden change in the center of gravity and/or a driver is unable to slow down during a sharp turn,
- Wide turn as a truck driver hugs passenger vehicles between the body of their truck and the curb when swinging to make a turn, and
- Jack-knifing situations when a trailer skids outward at a 90 degree angle toward the front cab of the large rig when a driver has to brake hard or quickly, deal with inclement weather, or result from complications related to the moving the cargo load.
Regulation and maintenance of trucks
Buffalo Accident Lawyers will explain the importance of tractor-trailer and utility vehicle maintenance on building up cases for insurance payments needed to cover damaging losses. Maintenance is a big concern in the trucking industry, as deviations in mechanical inspections and safety precautions can lead to catastrophic injuries and death for drivers sharing New York’s roads with commercial trucks and semi-trailers. trailers. Efforts to keep trucks safe and reduce road incidents include spot-checking equipment before every trip and are demanded by drivers. Equipment that should be checked before trips includes:
- Service brakes including trailer brake fittings.
- Parking brakes.
- Lighting devices and reflectors.
- Steering mechanisms.
- Tires – it is common for a truck to lose a tire or for the tread to come off.
- Windscreen wipers.
- Coupling devices.
- Wheels and rims.
- Emergency notification markers and equipment.
Wrongful death and bodily harm
Damages related to serious injury and wrongful death after tractor-trailer accidents are usually paid by insurance companies that covered the liability of the negligent entity or person. Damages may include medical expenses, future care, lost wages, pain and suffering, funeral and burial expenses and future impacts on the financial stability of surviving loved ones as well as loss of companionship in the event of mortal wound. Punitive damages may be awarded in criminal actions that may have caused the death.
Hire a lawyer
Even minor injuries resulting from a semi-trailer accident should be investigated to ensure that the costs associated with insurance coverage will be paid. If a death occurs due to the accident, a wrongful death lawsuit may be filed. Experienced Buffalo Truck Accident Lawyers can help.
- Microsoft Word – Vehicle and Traffic Act.doc (ny.gov)